Welcome

To the Seminary, and Beyond!
Follow us as we embark on our journey through the seminary and into ministry to which God has called us!

Don't forget to subscribe to get all the latest updates!

August 7, 2012

Elections and other thoughs

Missouri primaries were today and it was Timothy's second time voting! (His first time was a special amendment issue in May.) I also found out today that our district is apparently very EXTREMELY Democratic. All signs near our polling location were for Democratic candidates. The Republicans have written us off. That got me thinking: How often do I write off God? My last post wasn't too hopeful (downright forlorn, just to use a spiffy word). I was discouraged. I'm trying not to be right now. I've had a couple interviews (Commerce Bank, Concordia Historical Institute, and a staffing agency for two full-time positions at HomeWorks! and the American Optometric Association) and I'm trying to let God work through all of that without letting my thoughts rule the outcomes. I'm also being stretched. I may find part-time work instead of full-time.

In the end, it may not matter. Timothy and I have been talking about extending his stay at the seminary through a dual Master's program. He'd stay a year longer, complete a thesis or comprehensive exams, and graduate with a Master's in Sacred Theology and a Master's in Divinity (as an ordained pastor). The program would prepare him for returning for a PhD if he ever wanted to teach. The extra year in St. Louis (as well as no full-time job) gives me the freedom to look into another Master's, this time in Library Science. Mizzou runs an accredited program through UMSL. I still need lots of details before we could figure out if this would be a viable option to have both of us in school at the same time.

In other news, I've joined a women's Bible study through Mount Calvary where we have been attending. We're going through Divine Design by Sharla Fritz. It got me thinking about how (to use Sharla's language) our deceitful desires lead to sin. One of mine (and I think many of ours) is the desire for comfort and stability. This leads to my sin of worry and anxiousness. No where does God promise us that our lives will ever reach a point where we feel secure in our situation, whether this is physically, financially or emotionally. God only promises to be there through everything. In a way, it is a blessing to not be stable. That way we are not tempted into complacence with our situation or pride in the things we have done. Granted, I find it very difficult to view my life as a blessing now, but this fresh perspective was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! We would love to know what you think! Please leave us comments or questions and we will try to respond as soon as we can!