Welcome

To the Seminary, and Beyond!
Follow us as we embark on our journey through the seminary and into ministry to which God has called us!

Don't forget to subscribe to get all the latest updates!

March 22, 2013

Fieldwork

Yes, this is two posts in a row, but they are unrelated and I didn't want to make one giant post.  ;)

Anyway, three weeks ago Our Savior said goodbye to their intentional interim pastor.  Two weeks ago, the installed Rev. Mark Sell as their new full time pastor and last week he gave his first sermon as the pastor at Our Savior.  This was the most fast I have seen or heard this process happen (Did I mention that they extended the call only about a month ago?), but I am excited to have Pastor Sell at Our Savior.

I already knew Pastor Sell as he was my Greek Readings adjunct professor during the Fall term.  We talked about Greek, but he also spent some time preaching to us (seminary professors can't always help themselves I've come to learn.  Preaching is just in their nature.).  He has a lot of energy and a good solid theology.  I really think he is going to help out Our Savior a lot and I think he's going to teach me a lot about being a good pastor.  We have had a line of communication open since he started and in a couple of weeks I am going to start trying to observe him as he goes about making visits and counseling and preparing for sermons and all of the other things pastors do.  We're also going to start figuring out what else I can help out with around Our Savior in the time I have (which will be more next term and year than this term).  I won't be able to take my worship class until next year, so I won't be able to lead a service until then, but I can still help out with certain parts.

I am excited for Pastor Sell and I am excited that he is my supervisor.  I can't wait for this roller coaster ride with him as he also acclimates himself to the congregation and then starts moving with them.  I know Marie is pretty excited to.  His sermon delivery demands your attention and you never get bored.  In fact, I have come to the decision that pulpits real reason for existence are really more for pastors like him so they have something to hold on to so they don't fly around and take off like a rocket during their sermon.  Did I mention I am excited?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! We would love to know what you think! Please leave us comments or questions and we will try to respond as soon as we can!