Welcome

To the Seminary, and Beyond!
Follow us as we embark on our journey through the seminary and into ministry to which God has called us!

Don't forget to subscribe to get all the latest updates!

July 9, 2013

Running

So, for those of you who don't know already, I've picked up a new, disgusting habit: running.  I know, it's pathetic, right?  Who in their right mind would ever willingly decide to torture their body, and for what?  Well, it's becoming more and more a part of who I am.  I've recently outfitted myself with a pair of five finger running shoes.  I've began a personal program to help me run longer and faster, part of which is running every Thursday with my brother who served as an Army Ranger.  Talk about trying to kill myself... So why do I run?  A couple reasons; let me tell you:

My first reason for running is for a sense of personal achievement.  Running is a competitive sport not only against others, but also against yourself.  As I am still a beginner, I have had a lot of personal bests recently.  Yesterday I ran an 8:53 mile.  A few weeks ago I ran 11.6K (that's 7.25 miles).  These "records" keep pushing me further, not only because it is exciting, but it motivates me.  Further, it proves that "I am able."  I have had many voices throughout my life that have told me, "You can't;" most of them being my own.  I am proving to myself I am able to do something I never thought I could.  One of my new life goals is to run a marathon, something that I would never have aspired to simply because I never thought that it was within my reach.  Now that I've started running, I have surprised myself in big ways and know that if I keep working at it, I will be running marathons before I know it.

My second is my health.  Marie and I are pretty health conscious.  We are not fanatics in, but we are aware what we put in our bodies.  We eat lots of fruits and veggies and mix up out meets.  Of course, eating alone won't do the trick.  Activity is a big part.  Running works a large portion of the body: the heart, lungs, abdomen, legs, and even the arms.  You put a lot of yourself into running.  As a result your entire body is built up.  I have another reasons to be healthy too.  My baby is expected to arrive next month.  I want to be the healthiest father I can be for my baby.  I want to be here to not only see my child grow, but to be an active participant in my child's life.

My last reason for running is my faith.  Running, believe it or not, has had an impact on my relationship with God.  Along with health, I want to take care of my body because it is a gift, crafted for me by my heavenly Father.  He gave it to me to use and experience His creation, and as a gift I am to keep it holy, as a temple.  Frankly, I have spent most of my life treating it like the money collectors did.  This past year, Jesus has been helping me drive the money collectors from my temple.  All the bad things I put into myself, He has helped me clean it up and rededicate myself to Him.  I also started marveling at what God created the human body to be able to do.  This time last year, I could barely run a mile and now I'm running over seven in one stretch.  It just blows my mind how elastic He has designed our bodies to be.  Lastly, running is the physical manifestation of faith. Paul says, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." (2 Timothy 4:7)  Running can be painful, and sometimes you just want to give up and stop, but you know that once you cross the finish line it will be worth it.  It reminds to keep going even when it gets tough.

So that is why I run.  It has become part of who I am and makes me feel great to be alive.  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! We would love to know what you think! Please leave us comments or questions and we will try to respond as soon as we can!