Welcome

To the Seminary, and Beyond!
Follow us as we embark on our journey through the seminary and into ministry to which God has called us!

Don't forget to subscribe to get all the latest updates!

September 24, 2014

Back to BSF!

Once upon a time, there was a little kindergartner who went to Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) with her mother. They went in the morning. Afterward, the little girl are her lunch from her Barney lunch box as they drove to kindergarten. She learned about the minor prophets at BSF. They sang lots of hymns. (I still know the first verse of "Great is Thy Faithfulness" by heart.) They did crafts. (I have the Bible bookmark still in my Bible today.)

Fast forward many year. Now I have the opportunity of getting back into BSF. Levi is getting his first taste as well. BSF has been re-imagined since I was a part of it "back in the day." It is a four-fold approach to studying the Bible: home reading and preparation, small group discussion, large group lecture, and take home passage notes. It is one of the most intensive Bible studies I have been a part of. This year we are studying Moses. Groups across the country (and the world) are all studying the same lesson each week. It's hard to wrap your mind around sometimes that my friend Katrina is reading the same thing in New Jersey each week for her BSF Bible study that I am here in Texas.

Today was my second week (third week for BSF - I was a little slow getting connected to a group this year). I volunteered in the children's program with the toddlers today. It was a blast! We had 7 very energetic little ones running around. But all of them remembered that the baby in the basket from last week's story was Moses. We played (inside and outside in the beautiful fall day), read our Bible story for the week (Moses killing the Egyptian and fleeing), ate snack, had quiet time and story time. Two hours were gone before I knew it. The children's program mirrors the adult study so that families can discuss everything together. Although I enjoyed the children's program, I'm looking forward to attending my small group for the first time next week.

I'm excited to be a part of BSF again. It is also nice to have some friends outside of our vicarage congregation. Our vicarage congregation is wonderful, but it is easy to forget that the world exists beyond the church walls too. BSF is helping me stay grounded and allowing me to be me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! We would love to know what you think! Please leave us comments or questions and we will try to respond as soon as we can!