Welcome

To the Seminary, and Beyond!
Follow us as we embark on our journey through the seminary and into ministry to which God has called us!

Don't forget to subscribe to get all the latest updates!

May 16, 2015

A Visit with a Friend

Today I went to see one of my friends that I hadn't seen in a long time.  It also happened to be the first time that I went to prision.  My friend, Craig, was incarcerated during my first year at the seminary.  It was great seeing him, but it was also quite a journey and experience.  

First, it took about seven to eight months for me to get approved from the first time I applied.  Second, once you're approved and you show up, the guards aren't very helpful.  I had no idea what to do, but the other visitors took me under their wing to help me out.  I was very thankful for that.

Being processed was pretty much like you'd expect.  I went through a medal detector (I wasn't allowed to bring ANYTHING in, other than some money for vending machines and my car keys) and had to fill out some paperwork.  Then, I was stamped with ink that could only be seen by black light.  After that, the group of visitors were ushered into a gateway with bars on either side.  Once we all showed our stamps to the guy in the guard station, the door opened and another guard led us to the visitor building.

The building was not how I expected it.  It was too long rows of chairs.  The best way to describe it would be to say it's like you are waiting in an air port for a plane.  Anyway, because it was minimum security it was very easy to forget you were in a prision.

It was great seeing Craig though.  It was good getting to talk to him.  Though the circumstances were not preferable, he was appreciative that this has happened.  It's amazing how it takes something major in your life for you to reevaluate things.

I myself have been there.  I know how it can be like to hit rock bottom.  When I've reflected, I have seen how mistakes I've made could have landed me in some really bad spots.  They were life changing moments for me.  I wouldn't be where I am today without them.

Craig has come to the same conclusions.  He knows he messed up.  He know he's made mistakes.  The difference is now he's labeled, and will forever have a stigma.  Even this, though, he has accepted.  He has accepted this all by the grace of God, and he knows that God is in control.

It's amazing to see someone's faith in God only be strengthened when they are faced with their own sinfulness and the mistakes they have made, and the consequences that come with it.  Please pray for Craig as he finishes out his sentence and tries to get back to normal life.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! We would love to know what you think! Please leave us comments or questions and we will try to respond as soon as we can!