Welcome

To the Seminary, and Beyond!
Follow us as we embark on our journey through the seminary and into ministry to which God has called us!

Don't forget to subscribe to get all the latest updates!

October 12, 2015

Whole30 Recap

Today is Day 30 of Timothy and my Whole30 program. Which means we have 10 days of reintroduction and then we're back to our "normal" diet. The Whole30 program is a short-term detox program aimed at ending unhealthy cravings, restoring a healthy metabolism, healing your digestive tract and balancing your immune system. So for the past 30 days we have been eating natural, whole, unprocessed meats, eggs, vegetables and fruits. Some days were a struggle; some days were fantastic! But here's what I learned:

  • How to cook, and I mean seriously cook. Not just boil water or saute vegetables. But to cook every meal (including condiments) from scratch. How to improvise when something doesn't quite go to plan. And I'm now best friends with my food processor. (And I can cook an egg ANYWAY you want it - perfectly - on the first try).
  • I snack when Levi snacks. I want second breakfast and afternoon nibbles. But I don't need them. My body now processes protein correctly, meaning I don't need a pick me up to battle the carbs between meals. (And yes, you caught that right! The pregnant woman doesn't need to snack!)
  • I love cheese! Seriously. It's about the only thing I missed every day during the program. And after a month without cheese, I will be better equipped to have one slice and be done, rather than just keep eating.
  • I found new recipes my family loves. Our current favorite is roasted spaghetti squash (instead of the noodles) with homemade pasta sauce. Seriously, it is to die for and there is hardly ever leftovers when I make this meal. We also love shepherd's pie and most baked egg dishes (frittata, salsa egg poppers, etc.).  Plus, I can add so much spinach to these dishes without anyone knowing ;)
  • My previous diet caused serious bloating. I'll be paying close attention during reintroduction to find the culprit. I didn't notice it too much before the Whole30, but after 3 weeks without it, I have no desire to go back to being constantly.
  • Our family's portions at meals are way out of sync to what we need. This will be easier to manage after seeing the effects for just one month.
  • It's fun to buy the grocery store out of all their vegetables and skip the aisles in the middle.
Yes, I did the Whole30 while pregnant. Yes, I survived and even thrived on the diet. No, my baby did not suffer developmentally. I just had my 20 week ultrasound. Everything was fine. No, I did not need the snacks. And yes, if you are contemplating doing the Whole30 while pregnant, it is totally possible. And you will be healthier for it. I am 20 weeks into my second pregnancy. I have more energy than I did in the first. I am not bloated. I have gained less weight than I did with my first at this same point (and I ate pretty healthy during my first pregnancy too).

So now we begin reintroduction (to be completed just before a family member's wedding). While Timothy is just eager to get back to eating pizza, I will be watching for food triggers. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in January. PCOS is a hormonal imbalance that leads to many different symptoms, which will vary on a case by case basis. Current research has shown that controlling carbohydrates in your diet can help mitigate some of the symptoms of PCOS. The Whole30 diet cuts out all grains. I will be watching as I add these food groups back to my diet if my body reacts differently. Timothy will be watching how his weight gain/loss will be after reintroduction. As he still has about 15 pounds to lose before he can join the Air Force reserves, it's very important that he doesn't start gaining weight again. Since I will be the one doing most of the cooking, I'll be cooking meals that look more like what we have been eating these past 30 days: meals full of vegetables and high quality protein.
put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system. - See more at: http://whole30.com/step-one/#sthash.Ojkq1i4X.dpuf
put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system. - See more at: http://whole30.com/step-one/#sthash.Ojkq1i4X.dpuf
put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system. - See more at: http://whole30.com/step-one/#sthash.Ojkq1i4X.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! We would love to know what you think! Please leave us comments or questions and we will try to respond as soon as we can!